Choosing a New Dentist
You might recently moved to a new city or a new neighborhood and want to find a new dentist, or maybe you’ve been going to the same dentist for some time but you’ve decided that it’s time to find a new dentist. For many of us, selecting a new dentist comes down to simply asking friends and family for a recommendation.
Choosing a new dentist is an important step because you are entrusting your health and wellness to a professional. In this guide, we outline easy steps to find the right dentist for a successful relationship. These questions will help decide on the best dentist for you.
First, Search for the dentist who can help you
Every case is different. Some people will be looking for a dentist for minor work like teeth cleaning. Others will be searching for more complex dental services like braces or dental implants. Establish the basic criteria for your search and start by asking yourself the following questions:
- Is location important? For many of us, this means finding a dentist close to home, work or school. If you are looking for a dentist near by, this question will be crucial as it will help manage the appointments and reduce the commute. For example, if you live in Oakville, you probably be interested in finding local Oakville dental offices.
- What specialization are you looking for in a dentist? Are you looking for a general practitioner or a specialist in certain field.
- Are you looking for specific office features like wheel chair accessibility or first floor office.
- If you have a dental insurance, does the dental office accept dental insurances?
Second, Make a narrow list of potential right dental offices
Now, you have brainstormed your requirements. It’s time to start the search. One of the best methods to find a dentist is to ask people for recommendations. This can be done by asking close friends and relatives for great past experiences. In this day of age, the advancement of the internet made it easier to locate the dental office online.
One of the best ways to find a list of dentists in Ontario is by using the Find a Dentist tool on Ontario dental association. You can search by city, postal code or specialty. You can also use opencare or yellow pages. Once the search is done, make sure you visit the website and read reviews about the dental office.
Third, Call the office, send an email or book a consultation to meet the dentist
Say, you have a short list of few dentists. Now, you can visit their websites and find more about the dentist, the team, the services provided and the office. The research should not stop here. Call the office or use the email to ask the question. Better still, book a meeting with the dentist to directly ask the questions.
Here are some of the questions you may want to ask:
- Is your dentist accepting new patients?
- Are there any availability in the near future? Some offices are way to busy that it takes weeks to book an appointment.
- What is the dentist’s credentials?
- What to expect on the first visit? Should you request the old xrays? How long will the first appointment last and what will be included in that appointment?
- What is the financial policy of the office? will the dentist explain the treatment options and explain the cost of the procedures?
- What are the office hours? Will the schedule fit your schedule? Is the office open during evening hours or on the weekend?
- Is the dentist keeping up with the new treatment techniques and new developments.
If you are satisfied with the responses you’ve received, it’s time to make an appointment with the best dentist that will address your specific needs.